Empowering women has many dimensions and components. One component is for the women to know in an in-depth way the history of the women’s movement in their country and their region. The objective of creating a documentary about the women’s movement in the Arab World is to increase women’s knowledge about the history and power of this movement.
The creation of a short documentary (26 minutes) what is known in many Arab Francophone countries as a “Court Metrage”, about the women’s movement in the Arab World.
The focus of the documentary will be on the beginnings of this movement. Also, the focus will be on the pioneering women of this movement.
The geographic focus will be on four Arab countries: two countries: Egypt and Lebanon that represent the strong beginnings of the movement, and two countries of our project “Women as Partners in Progress”: Morocco and Jordan.
The selection of the eight pioneers who will be represented in the documentary was done by the team of WPP at the Gibran Chair, at the University of Maryland.
Below are the results of the selection:
- Egypt: Huda Sha’arawi and Samira Moussa
- Lebanon: May Ziade and Laure Moghaizel
- Morocco: Malika Al Fassi and Fatima Mernissi
- Jordan: Inaam Mufti and Leila Sharaf
The approach was discussed and it was agreed that in addition to using the archives regarding documents and photos, women leaders will be interviewed to discuss the impact of these very important pioneers.
The whole documentary will be based on the HUB: “Pioneers and Leaders: Knowledge Center about Arab Women”.
- Arabian Candles interview with Sameer Haddad: https://soundcloud.com/sabeel-media/arabian-candles-dec-5th#t=4:12
- Aleph Lam Magazine Article: https://aleph-lam.com/2019/09/14/%D8%AA%D8%AC%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A8-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D8%B1%D8%AF%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%BA%D8%B1%D8%A8-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%83%D9%88%D9%8A%D8%AA-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D9%83%D8%B3%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84/